Date:      Fri, 20 Feb 2004 21:17:37 -0600
From:      "dap" <dap99@i-55.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   NFS and different exports to the same host

Per the FreeBSD handbook, I have to follow the rule that for a specific host
I have to export everything the same for a particular filesystem. So let's
say I have one filesystem, /.

So I can't have:

/export1    -ro    server1 server2
/export2             server1

Instead, I need:

/export1 \
/export2 \
server1

Is there a way around this?

I have found that it works best for us to have a /exports, where we dump
things like /exports/www, /exports/mail, and so on, rather than having
filesystems for each of those. This is important since FreeBSD has a
limitation on the number of possible slices, and we are running with one big
RAID-1 storage system.

Also, I found that this generates errors (by mountd -r):

/export1 -maproot=nobody \
/export2 -maproot=root \
server1

While this works:

/export1 \
/export2 \
-maproot=root \
server1

That's no good. Is there a solution to this problem?

By the way, I have found that FreeBSD is a solid NFS server. Other than this
limitation NFS has worked great.

Handbook on NFS:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-nfs.html