Date:      Tue, 22 Oct 2002 12:44:28 -0400
From:      "Chad Morland" <chad.morland@inquent.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   DLT Backup Questions

I am looking to create a multi-tape backup of close to 260G of data
using a DLT-7000 with compression turned on. Does anyone have any
recommendations for what to use to accomplish this? Amanda does not
support multi-tape archives so that is out of the question. I have tried
to use gnu tar but for some reason that was only placing 35G onto each
tape (I am trying to use compression.)

Here is what I tried when using tar: 'tar -b 126 -cMpf /dev/nsa0
/backup'

Output of 'mt status':

Mode      Density              Blocksize      bpi      Compression
Current:  0x1b                 variable       0        IDRC
---------available modes---------
0:        0x1b                 variable       0        IDRC
1:        0x1b                 variable       0        IDRC
2:        0x1b                 variable       0        IDRC
3:        0x1b                 variable       0        IDRC
Current Driver State: at rest.