Date:      Tue, 8 Jan 2002 07:25:18 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "Giorgos Keramidas" <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Teaching parents UNIX

Giorgos writes:

> Well, precautions are not always enough.

Since running antivirus software is a precaution, I'm not sure what you are
trying to say.

> Virus writers are using an ever changing
> plethora of ways to spread their wickedness.

And yet they show extremely low rates of success overall.  Most people have
never caught a virus on their machines.

> I have seen a recent virus in action that
> infected machines when the user simply 'viewed'
> a web page.  No attachment openings and stuff.

Disable scripting and ActiveX controls, and this is no longer a problem.  I
have essentially _everything_ disabled by default on my browsers.  I enable
things only for specific sites, when there is a need to do so and the site
can be trusted.

Overall, at least as much effort is expended trying to prevent virus
infections as occurs when they actually infect something.