Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2000 17:54:25 -0500
From:      "William Wong" <willwong@anime.ca>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Stalled FTP/SAMBA Connections

Hi,

I have a small internal subnet using 192.168.0.X where .1 is the main
fileserver.

The problem occurs when transfering files >100MB from the .1 machine to any
other.
I typically FTP the files out, and I've even tried using samba to get the
files onto the other machines.

What happens is this:  The filetransfer would go nicely, and usually about
30MB into the transfer, the connection would hang.  If I try to ping from
the .1 box, to the box which the connection had hung, (eg. my .2 or .3
boxes), the ping packets don't get through either.

If I do a netstat, I see this:

tcp        0  17472 epoch.49170           janus.1037            ESTABLISHED

The send queue seems to be full.  Now if I wait a while, the stalled
FTP/SAMBA transfers sometimes resumes and continues, but most of the time,
the FTP/SAMBA transfers time out and I have to stop the tranfer and try
again.

Both boxes aren't loaded so I don't think it's that.

Here's the output of my ifconfig for reference.

ed2: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1492
        ether 00:4f:49:05:78:b7

(Note: I'm also using an MTU of 1492 on the connecting boxes due to PPPoE
mtu requirements)

If anyone has any suggestions on how I can diagnose or even better solve
this problem please respond :)

Thanks,
- Will