Date:      Wed, 17 May 2000 11:51:24 +0300
From:      Yonatan Bokovza <Yonatan@xpert.com>
To:        'Mark Ovens' <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Is port scanning a problem?

----Original Message-----
From: Mark Ovens [mailto:mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org]
>Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2000 9:39 PM
>To: questions@freebsd.org
>Subject: Is port scanning a problem?

>My ISP's support newsgroup has lots of threads about "port scanning".
>Most of the people there are Windozers and since I've never heard any
>mention of it here I assume that it is a Windows vulnerability and not
>an issue if I connect only from FreeBSD. Is this correct?

No.

>I checked out Steve Gibson's site (http://wrc.com) which has a test
>program to check the vulnerability of your machine. The only thing
>that showed up in my logs when I ran this was in /var/log/messages:

>May 16 20:23:18 parish inetd[96]: /usr/libexec/fingerd[1438]: exit status
0x100

>Any need to worry?

Might be, you see- port scanning is the action of checking what ports are
open
on a specified (or range of) IP. Services that your computer runs (fingerd
in your case,
others are httpd, ftpd, smtp etc.) listen to port, waiting for an outsider
to connect them.
They listen to specific ports, smtp listens to port 25, httpd to port 80. A
list of well known
ports can be found at RFC 1700 if i remember correctly. So, port scaning is
the action of
detemining what services does a computer offer to the world- the next step
being 'exploit
that service to gain access". The thing is you can passively listen to
someone scanning
you and that where Intrusion Detection Systems.

>--
>        ...and on the eighth day God created UNIX
P.S. if you don't have a good reason- turn off the fingerd, i gives too much
information
about you.

Regards,
Yonatan@xpert.com