Date:       Wed, 21 Jun 2000 19:13:26 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
Cc:        cvs-all@FreeBSD.ORG, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.ORG, Alfred Perlstein <alfred@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/kern uipc_socket.c uipc_socket2.c src/sy

On Fri, Jun 16, 2000 at 03:10:07PM +1000, Nate Williams wrote:
>Correct.  If we want performance, how about removing the difference
>between kernel and userland.  Why have the overhead of the kernel
>vs. userland change, since it causes us to take a big performance hit.

Agreed.  If you want absolute maximum performance, you should build the
server from the ground up, not build it on top of a general-purpose OS.
And I'm not sure that hacking up the kernel is the best approch here.

For example, UFS is an excellent general purpose filesystem.  If
you're only interested in finding the content associated with URLs I
suspect you could do a lot better with something that hashed a URL
directly to a (starting block, file-length) - rather than searching a
directory tree.

Other areas:
- You don't want your webserver paging or swapping - so most of the VM
  subsystem can be thrown away.
- Since all processes are the server, most of the uid-based security
  mechanisms can be thrown out.
- Dropping the distinction between userspace and kernel space removes
  the need to support ring-transitions (which are quite expensive).

Peter