Date:      Sun, 21 Jul 2002 03:31:22 -0600
From:      "Grant Cooper" <grant.cooper@nucleus.com>
To:        "Tortise@Paradise" <tortise@paradise.net.nz>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Root can't ftp

edit /etc/ftpusers. Names in this file are NOT allowed to connect to the FTP
service. It's not a good idea to ftp using root as someone can easily find
out root's password using a sniffer. The password is also sent in clear text
and if you are on a cable as I am, that password will be sent to everyone on
your ISP's switching hub. Just turn on your card to promisous mode. Have
fun. This is the solution if you have your ftpd service turned on.