Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 09:19:36 +1000
From:      "Tim McCullagh" <timbo@halenet.com.au>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Pam Authentication

Hi

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I will / can find any
information on configuring PAM on FreeBSD.  I have a freeBSD 4.2 Release
system that I am trying to get pam to work on.   I have configured the
pam.conf file as per the default and are trying to get pam authentication
going using a web browser.    I have configured my http.conf and it seems to
be working fine.

Each time I try to login I get a message in my /var/log/messages like this

Mar 22 09:15:39 mailsat httpsd: unable to dlopen(/usr/lib/pam_unix.so)
Mar 22 09:15:39 mailsat httpsd: [dlerror: /usr/lib/pam_unix.so: Undefined
symbol  "pam_get_item"]
Mar 22 09:15:39 mailsat httpsd: adding faulty module: /usr/lib/pam_unix.so

I did see a message in the archives which suggested

>>Maybe the runtime linker is confused
> > using a dlopened module from another dlopened module.
> > Try running httpd with the environment `LD_PRELOAD' set
> > to `/usr/lib/libpam.so.1' and let me know the results.

How would I do this?

Has anyone come across this and been able to solve it?

Thanks in advance

Tim