Date:      Wed, 7 Feb 2001 14:04:22 -0500
From:      Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
To:        "Stuart Morse" <sturu@hotmail.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can't find ports directory

On Wednesday February 07, 2001 13:41, Stuart Morse wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I just installed FreeBSD for the first time. I just got XFree86
> working, and now I'd like to install KDE. Problem is I don't have
> a /usr/ports directory. Did I say "no" to some option when installing
> the OS to cause this to happen? Either way, how do I get myself in
> a position to install KDE?

	You didn't say what version of FreeBSD you have, but the KDE version 1
is on the 4.2 CD as a package.  You can just mount your CD and use
pkg_add to install KDE version 1.
	To get KDE2 you will have to install the ports tree.  You can do that
from /stand/sysinstall.  Then you will probably want to use cvsup to
update your poprts tree.  I don't think the KDE2 port will work without
that.  You need all the latest patches that cvsupping will give you.
Then cd /usr/ports/x11/kde2; make install clean
If you want gif support you need to build qt with that first.

						Tim
--

/""\
\  /