Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 02:40:18 -0400
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        ann kok <annkok2001@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cable modem

On Saturday 08 September 2001 23:32, ann kok wrote:
> Dear all
>
> I am wandering why cable modem provider can have
> static ip to her customer.

What would prevent this?  It just means that they give a single address for
that particular cable modem.  They control the LAN you are on; they can do
anything they want with your IP address.

> At least one IP for one house. In addition, IP is not
> sufficent in the internet now. How they can do that?

Who told you that IP is not sufficient for the internet now?  The entire
internet is based on nothing else.  IP *is* the internet.

(Well, there must be some miniscule amount of traffic actually using IPv6,
but not much.)

Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                        http://www.babbleon.org

-------> Free Dmitry Sklyarov!  (let him go home)  <-----------