Date:      Thu, 10 May 2001 15:12:44 -0400
From:      "Gerald T. Freymann" <freymann@eagle.ca>
To:        "Peter Kok" <cckok00@hotmail.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: apache, php4, mod_php

> Does anyone have experience to install apache and php4 by tarball (not
> by port)? Could you give me the guide or website?

 Why not read through the file "README.configure" in the directory you
un-tar'd apache in? They have a few paragraphs about this...

Apache and PHP
  --------------

  The PHP language (http://www.php.net) is an HTML-embedded scripting
language
  which can be directly integrated into the Apache HTTP server for powerful
HTML
  scripting.  The package can be found at
http://www.php.net/download-php.php3.

  1. How you can install Apache with a statically linked PHP:

    $ gunzip <apache_1.3.X.tar.gz | tar xvf -
    $ gunzip <php-3.0.tar.gz | tar xvf -
    $ cd apache_1.3.X
    $ ./configure --prefix=/path/to/apache
    $ cd ../php-3.0
    $ ./configure --with-apache=../apache_1.3.X
    $ make
    $ make install

[optionally you now have the chance to prepare or add more
     third-party modules to the Apache source tree]

    $ cd ../apache_1.3.X
    $ ./configure --prefix=/path/to/apache \
                  --activate-module=src/modules/php3/libphp3.a
    $ make
    $ make install

 I did this a while ago with php and mysql based upon these simple
instructions.

 I'm much lazier now, I simply use the Apachetoolbox!

http://www.apachetoolbox.com/

-gf