Date:      Sat, 18 Apr 1998 21:11:14 +0200
From:      Berend de Boer <berend@pobox.com>
To:        "'Mike Smith'" <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        "stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   best sd0 flags ? (was wdc0)

On Saturday, April 18, 1998 6:46 PM, Mike Smith [SMTP:mike@smith.net.au]
wrote:

> We've been duplicating 3GB Western Digital disks the last few days under
> 2.2.6, flags 0x80ff80ff on 166MHz P5/430TX boards, and averaging about
> 5M/sec throughput.  Try  'dd if=/dev/wd1 of=/dev/null bs=1m' to get an
> idea of your raw disk speed as opposed to filesystem throughput.

Hmm, something is seriously wrong here it seems. I've a Pentium II, 233MHz,
128MB, Adaptec Ultra Wide SCSI and SCSI 2 4GB IBM drive. Using the above
code I get an average of 2MB. Is there something seriously wrong with this
system? And how can I tune it?

I've compiled a custom kernel with P686 enabled and removed some devices.
That's all I did.

Groetjes,

Berend.