Date:      Wed, 7 Oct 1998 21:58:50 -0600
From:      Bryan Fraser <bryanf@rmi.net>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "'fraserb@lucent.com'" <fraserb@lucent.com>
Subject:   Connection help

I having problems getting my FreeBSD machine connected to the Internet.  My ppp.conf file and ppp.linkup files look correct.  My modem is on com2.  I have a static IP address provided by my ISP.
My ppp.conf file looks like this:

default
  set device /dev/cuaa1
  set speed 115200
  set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" ATE1Q0 OK AT OK\\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"
provider:
  set phone "(my dial in #)"
  set login "TIMEOUT 10 gin:-BREAK-gin: (my user name) word: (my password) col: ppp"
  set timeout 300
  deny lqr
  set ifaddr (my static IP address) (my ISP's Gateway)
  delete all
  add 0 0 (my ISP's Gateway)

When logged in as root and I type in PPP,  it says:
Working in interactive mode
Using interface: tun0

Then it goes to ppp ON bsdbox>,  where I type in dial provider,  then get:
Warning: Add route failed: 0.0.0.0: errno: Network is unreachable
Dial attempt 1 of 1
Phone: (my isp's dial in #)
Warning: DialModem: dial failed.

Then it goes back to ppp ON bsdbox>

The modem doesn't even get a dial tone.  The modem is plugged in correctly.  Any suggestions?

Bryan Fraser