Date:      Mon, 26 Oct 1998 13:02:25 -0800
From:      Chad Thunberg <chadth@atvideo.com>
To:        "'Jim Flowers'" <jflowers@ezo.net>
Cc:        "'freebsd-securirty@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-securirty@FreeBSD.ORG>, "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: firewall + internal mail server

Jim,
	Thank you for your response but I am unable to get this below to work.  It appears that natd is not listening to that port.  Do I need to do anything to make natd monitor the port?  Sendmail is disabled on the firewalling machine, making port 25 available to be bound too.  I also tried redirect_port tcp ip.of.mail.server:25 25 as well as redirct_port tcp ip.of.mail.server:25 ip.of.public.interface:25  Any more input would be great.

Thanks,
-Chad

#4 ISP on C|NET, #1 in Ohio

On Thu, 22 Oct 1998, Chad Thunberg wrote:

> I am setting up a firewall and enabled natd but have an internal mail
> server.  Is there a way to still be able to access the internal mail
server
> from the outside for sending and receiving email?  I thought about giving
> the firewall a vhost of mail.host.com and diverting packets that came in
> from 110 and 25 to the internal mail server but from the man pages, divert
> seems to be used for diverting packets from one port to another on the
same
> machine instead of diverting them to a new or ineternal ip.  Any help on
the
> subject would be great.  I would rather not put the mail server outside of
> the firewall.

good idea, although on a perimeter network with a good wrapper is even
better.