Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 1996 17:48:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      JOHN <JSINNOTT@POMONA.EDU>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   XDM and log in prompts...

I have a few questions, hope someone can answer them.  First is, when I
reboot my machine, FreeBSD always fails to supply the password prompt
the first time someone tries to log in after reboot.  AFter that first time,
no problems until I reboot again.  What would be causing this?

Second, in the rc.local file, how would I start XDM up only as a daemon,
so that it will accept connections from other terminals, but not start
up my Xserver on the console?  I looked in the manual pages, and didnt
see anything.

Finally, again with XDM / X Windows - I was wondering if anyone else out
there who is using X Inside's Accelerated X Server is having trouble when
killing xdm.  Perhaps I am just doing this wrong.  To kill xdm, I always
switch to a virtual terminal with ctrl-alt-function key, then type
kill pid for xdm and kill pid for the X server.  Without fail, this will
cause the console to lock, and I have to telnet into the machine and reboot.

Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks for any and all help

John