Date:      Fri, 2 Nov 2001 19:37:53 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Lockdown of FreeBSD machine directly on Net

So is it really an issue provided that I never log in to root from anywhere
except on my own LAN (which has only two machines, both of which are under my
exclusive control)?

If I leave SSH login of root allowed, but with password authentication
disallowed, it seems to me that anyone trying to hack into the system from the
outside by a login to root would have quite a task before him, since he could
not guess passwords, and even if he knew the root password, it wouldn't help
him.  He'd have to have the private SSH key for root to get in, and short of
somehow stealing it off one of my machines (which would imply that I had far
bigger security problems than just logins to root), I don't know how he'd get
that.  There's no copy of it on the server, even.