Date:      Mon, 15 Mar 1999 00:49:51 -0600 (CST)
From:      nsheeley@austin.rr.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sound (sb* driver) w/PCCHIPs motherboard

I have, quite unsucessfully, been working to get sound
working on my FreeBSD (stable) box, and I was hoping
someone might be able to give me some pointers. First
of all, I'm using a crappy PCCHIPs motherboard, so
this may not even be possible. If it isn't I would
appreciate someone letting me know ;)

The motherboard is a M59[01] (I think).It has built-in
8MB AGP, built-in "SoundBlasterPro" compatible sound,
and claims to run at 100MHz. Note that
the FreeBSD tells me that the system bus is actually 90
MHz, which I guess shouldn't surprise me given that
PCCHIPS sold motherboards with plastic caches ;)

Anyway, I'm getting away from the subject at hand.
The board is plug-&-pray. So I installed the pnp
support in my kernel, and tried the pcm driver first,
with little success. I had better luck with the sb*
driver, which is what I describe here.

My PNP settings are (derived from pnpinfo):

pnp 1 0 os enable port0 0x530 port1 0x388 irq0 11 drq0 0
pnp 1 1 os enable port0 0x330 irq0 12
pnp 1 3 os enable port0 0x200
pnp 1 3 os enable port0 0x220 irq0 10 drq0 1 drq1 5

My relavent kernel lines are:
device sb0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 10 drq 1
options "SBC_IRQ=10"
device sbxvi0 at isa? drq 5
options "SB16_DMA=5"
device sbmidi0 at isa? port 0x330

[
Also, strangely dset does not seem to be picking up my
pnp commands and storing them for future reboots:

root@sys/i386/conf% dset -v
Boot image: /kernel

Table: _isa_devtab_tty
dset: read
root@sys/i386/conf% echo $status
1
]

BTW, my system has been recently upgraded to ELF, but
that transition seemed smooth.

To finally get to the point, if I go to the trouble of
typing the 4 pnp commands in at boot -c time, I can
get "sound" out of the speakers when I try mpeg3play,
for example. Unfortunately it was not music.

Any (and I mean _any_ at this point) help would
be appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Nate