Date:      Fri, 11 Jan 2002 23:32:03 -0500
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        ANTOINE.BLAIVIE@student.kuleuven.ac.be, freeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 4.4 FreeBSD Questionnaire

On Friday 11 January 2002 04:49 pm, ANTOINE.BLAIVIE@student.kuleuven.ac.be
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to excuse myself for this little inconvenience,
> I must admit that its the first time that I'm mailing to a mailing list
> and honestly I didn't thought about that (Word document) portability
> problem.
>
> I've posted the questionnaire in a text document, hoping that somebody
> would be able to help me.
>
> Anyway, I will not disappoint you next time...

You know, even text attachments are a pain.  Why not just ask questions
in-line?

Anyway,

1. No.  Are there any O/S's that do this at the O/S level?  Those sound more
like database operations.  At least if I'm following the questin correctly.

2. Programs that crash are pretty much allowed to crash but the remainder of
the system is protected.  That is, if the program sets up a signal handler,
it will be used to handle the crash, but the system itself shuts down the
program if it doesn't handle it.  It does close files for the program and so
forth to ensure system integrity and freeing of resources.

3. Huh?  Umm . . . do it right?  As for what you mean?  Free what you are
done with?  At program termination all resources are freed; before that it's
up to the program.  Files are not locked unless they "need to" be.  (Eg, one
process can read while another writes.)

Oh, this is silly.  FreeBSD is a Unix implementation; there are scads of
books on Unix.  It's a pretty conventional O/S.  It doesn't do
"transactions"; it's an O/S, not a data base system.  Thing like UNDO and
REDO are from a whole different universe.

--
Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                        http://www.babbleon.org

-------> Free Dmitry Sklyarov!  (let him go home)  <-----------