Date:      Wed, 10 Dec 1997 02:24:10 +0000
From:      Bart Smit <bit@signature.nl>
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Subject:   Re: Possible problem with ftpd 6.00

OK. forgot who started this, but it's been enough. I mean, SHEESH, could we
PLEASE get rid of this non-discussion. It doesn't belong to FreeBSD
security. (You can stop reading now. Delete this mail, and try to do do
something useful. If you're stubborn, read on...)

--Bart

If someone thinks that it would be good&sensible to require that ftpd
doesn't password when anon, then it's also sensible to forbid ANY (bogus)
password-prompting program, which clearly is impossible. So STOP whining. It
makes a lot more sense to find a way for ppl to verify the integrity of the
*whatever* that wants a password *whenever*. That's a tricky subject, and
ALSO DOESN'T BELONG ON FreeBSD-SECURITY!!!!

Cy, sorry that you have to be the target of my anger, but this was the mail
and the time. I'm much more annoyed with the guy (m/f) who initiated this
thread (but also annoyed with the ppl who felt like reacting at all).

--Bart Smit
Systeembeheerder Stichting Signature