Date:      05 Aug 2002 02:34:49 -0700
From:      Eric Anholt <eta@lclark.edu>
To:        Andrew Kolchoogin <andrew@snark.rinet.ru>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: About 5.0 and Nvidia drivers

On Mon, 2002-08-05 at 01:59, Andrew Kolchoogin wrote:
> Guys,
>
>     yet another point. We should consider that many people already HAS some
> kind of NVidia hardware and doesn't plan to change their well-tested video
> card.
Sure.  Some people in this thread were saying "there's no ATI support /
the ATI support is very bad" when it wasn't correct.  So I wrote a
little about the current ATI support.

>     I think that developing DRI-compatible (or even compatible with itself
> throught wall outlet) driver for NVidia video cards is very good initiative.
>
>     Although reverse engeneering (thing that this thread has begun from) is
> very complicated and time-consuming process, if NVidia doesn't wish to
> collaborate with software developers, it should be done.

There's the old, slow, DMAless utah drivers (GL HW acceleration for X
3.3) for anyone who wants to port them to the XFree 4 with DRI.  I
remember like 17fps in quake3 on some low settings with a TNT2U
32MB/400Mhz Celeron.  We even had some code released by nvidia that did
sample dma (iirc, this was quite a while ago), but nobody got it working
with utah.  If open-source nvidia support didn't get done then when
there was no nvidia binary driver, it will *definitely* not get done
now.  Folks with FreeBSD and NVidias probably will just wait for the
binary drivers to work, which I understand will be in the
not-too-distant future.

Those are just my thoughts.  If someone managed to make a working
open-source nv dri driver that had even reasonable speeds, I would be
very excited and happy.  However, probably the place to start wouldn't
be reverse-engineering if the target is the DRI, as PIO-based source
already exists for at least some of the target cards.

--
Eric Anholt <eta@lclark.edu>
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/dri/