Date:      12 Jan 2003 17:19:16 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        FreeBSD User Questions List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: linked twice against libintl.so

--=-xNt8GjOW1E0UDWMlG8SJ

On Sun, 2003-01-12 at 17:11, Hanspeter Roth wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
> I'm trying to build the ElectricEyes port. The executable is linked
> against two versions of libintl.so:
>=20
>         libintl.so.4 =3D> /usr/local/lib/libintl.so.4 (0x284c2000)
>         libintl.so.2 =3D> not found (0x0)
>=20
> Gettext is 0.11.5_1.
> Is there a solution except of creating a link?

The proper solution is to rebuild all ports that depend on the old
library, so that it eventually gets purged from all binaries on your
system.

>=20
> I found also two versions of libintl.so in /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg:
>=20
> lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel       10 Dec 16 00:16 libintl.so.1 -> libintl.s=
> lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel       10 Jan  8 01:03 libintl.so.2 -> libintl.s=
>=20
> Do they matter? How have they come here?

This really isn't a good idea.  While linking old shared object versions
to the new shared object might work just fine, subtle API changes can
cause otherwise good applications to break.

I'd remove these links, and the libintl.so, then hunt down all binaries
that are still linked against libintl.so.[12], and hit them with
portupgrade -f.

Joe

>=20
>=20