Date:      22 Jan 2003 15:13:46 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Andy Akins <andy@leonidae.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: MrProject port...

On Wed, 2003-01-22 at 08:56, Andy Akins wrote:
> Hello everyone.
>
> Just a little background...I'm fairly new to FreeBSD (although been with
> Linux for several years) and even newer to Gnome. So I guess this is a
> newbie question/comment...
>
> I am interested in using the MrProject program. I've installed the
> current port, which is version 0.5.1. However, just today, Mr. Project
> 0.8 was released. I'd love to be able to run that version.

So would some others.  I started a port, but backed off when someone
else said they were going to do it.  I don't have the email from that
someone, but perhaps they can chime in.

> Now I am a big advocate of the open source methodology - if you have a
> itch, scratch it. So I am willing to expend some energy to either work
> on upgrading this port or assisting anyone who is already working on it.
> But here's where my newbie-ness kicks in. Even though I am a programmer
> by trade (Java), I have little-or-no experience with FreeBSD, the ports
> system (programming for), or coding for Gnome. So I was wondering if
> anyone had any advice. Is anyone working on Mr. Project for FreeBSD? If
> so, do we have an ETA for an update? And if no one is actively working
> on it...can anyone point a good general programmer but Gnome/Ports
> newbie to the relevant docs/help to perhaps work on this? Or am I
> getting in over my head?

If you want to do it yourself, you will first have to create a
libmrproject port for the backend.  I recommend reading up on the
Porter's Handbook as well as the FreeBSD GNOME specific porting
instructions at http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/.  You will also want to
follow some of the existing examples as well.

Joe