Date:      23 Jul 2003 16:34:20 +0100
From:      Paul Richards <paul@freebsd-services.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        cvs-all@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/kern init_main.c kern_malloc.c md5c.c vfs_subr.c

On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 06:40, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> The ones I took out yesterday are the onces which GCC had ignored and
> which therefore ipso facto were "unproven" _and_ added significant
> amounts of object code if respected.

That's just untrue. The inline you removed from lnc had *ZERO* impact on
code size.

My strong suspicion, based on the tone of the commit message,  is that
you didn't bother to take the time to consider whether the author knew
what they were doing by studying how they'd used inline, you just jumped
in and removed them because you thought you knew best.

While gcc has been broken for a few releases it wasn't always broken.
The inlines in lnc were written about 10 years ago on a 386, when gcc
definitely did this properly and you did your best to optimise the
critical path in an interrupt function.

Paul.