Date:      Mon, 11 Feb 2002 00:57:17 +1100
From:      BSD Freak <bsd-freak@mbox.com.au>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   file system partitioning and multiple jails

Hi all....

I have a FreeBSD 4.5 system running multiple jails (7 actually) that
will run each run a particular application (apache, sendmail, MySQL
etc), the host system runs no services (apart from SSH for administraion
and NTP). My reason for this "viritual machine" type of architecture are
many including:

1. I can easily move one of these virtual machines (jail) to a "real"
seperate machine if load gets too high

2. The server is overkill for handling only one application and can
easily handle all 7 applications at this stage.

3. Security. I have each service segregated, this mitigates the effects
of a compromised service on one of those machines.

4. Easier backups and hardware portability. I just tar and gzip the
entire jail file system and can easily move it to different hardware if
I need to (since only the host has to worry about kernels, drivers etc.)

At this stage I have not put the system into production, I am still
testing and looking for intelligent feedback from the list, especially
in regard to file system partitioning for such a configuration.

To me it make the most sense to have a single large / partition (and
swap ofcourse) for the following reasons:

1. I don't know which application will have the most disk requirements
at this stage and am afraid of under allocating space.

2. simplicity

3. I may need to add or remove jails

The only valid negative point I have seen to this approach so far is
/var/log filling up and effectivly bringing about a denial of service.
Is there some way to limit the size of the /var/log directory? It really
doesnt seem practical to me to create 7 seperate /var/log partitions (
one for each jail) and then what if I add or remove a jail?

If anyone had experience with this kind of configuration advice would be
greatly appreciated......

such an approach has been negat