Date:      Thu, 28 Jun 2007 15:35:24 -0400
From:      Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "Sean C. Farley" <scf@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: setenv() update in 7-CURRENT time frame

--=-C91e8T19DKpTqCjWvlfH

On Wed, 2007-06-27 at 15:43 -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 June 2007 02:29:23 pm Sean C. Farley wrote:
> > With the release rapidly approaching, I want to know if it would be
> > better to move the setenv() (and family) API to POSIX (along with added
> > memory leak restraints).  For details on the changes, please see my
> > posting in the current@ and ports@[1] archives.  I ask arch@ since it
> > involves API changes.
> >=20
> > I thought about holding off until the branching, but enough changes hav=
> > rolled into CURRENT to make me think that it may be acceptable.  I
> > received no complaints from my postings in current@ and ports@.  From
> > communications with Kris Kennaway, he surmised it may affect a few old
> > BSD-specific ports and checking would have to be done manually to find
> > them.
> >=20
> > How does the idea of applying my patch[1] to CURRENT before the branch
> > is made sound?  While I would prefer it to make it into this release, I
> > understand if it would be best to wait.  I am just looking for a
> > definitive answer.  If I did not ask, I would feel anxious wondering if
> > it could have made it.  :)
> >=20
> > Sean
> >    1. http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2007-May/041577.=
html
> >    2. http://www.farley.org/freebsd/tmp/setenv/setenv.diff
> > --=20
> > scf@FreeBSD.org
>=20
> Go for it.
>=20

Since the last attempt at part of this went badly for a variety of
reasons I'm going to give a bit more warning than I'd normally do for a
commit approval request during code freeze... :-)

Sean has sent the commit request to re@ which given code freeze was the
right thing to do.  Last time setenv() and friends were made POSIX
compliant it sort of blind-sided too many people so I'm going to make
sure that doesn't happen this time.

Sean's patches look reasonable to me so I'll approve the commit request
in a couple of days (likely Saturday).  If that's a problem speak now or
forever hold your peace... :-)

--=20
                                                Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith@cse.buffalo.edu