Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 1996 14:26:48 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>, jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com (Joe Greco), jhs@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org, commercial@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Licensing Software

I don't know what you guys are all arguing about anyway.  Location
based license managers are EVIL, they are NOT the future (just pick up
a copy of Purify or ObjectCenter sometime to see where it's going
instead) and no ISV in their right minds or with even the vaguest
understanding of the concept of networking should be going with LM
technology that cares one whit where a user is sitting.  All you care
about is the number of simultaneous accesses you get, and any node in
the network should be able to "check out" a license if you've gone
with the appropriate technology.

I and most other people I know vote with our wallets.  I *will not
purchase* or recommend for purchase any package which does location
based license management.  Just won't do it.  Wouldn't be prudent.

					Jordan