Date:      Fri, 11 Jan 2002 08:56:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      "C J Michaels" <cjm2@earthling.net>
To:        <tomkersten98@yahoo.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: this is not working....

Tom,

Try typing the full path to the program, e.g. /usr/bin/xxx  (I won't get
into putting ports in /usr/bin, that's another topic.)

The shell keeps a cache of all the programs that are in it's path, which it
generates when that shell is started.

I don't know which shell you are using, but if it's csh or tcsh, simply
type "rehash" after installing your port.  This will rebuild the cache.

If it's bourn based "sh, bash, etc..." I believe the command is "hash".

This was just discussed yesterday, so you could look through the archives
also.

--Chris

--
Chris

"I'll defend to the death your right to say that, but I never said I'd
listen to it!"
     -- Tom Galloway with apologies to Voltaire