Date:      Tue, 02 Dec 1997 13:26:17 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/kern vfs_aio.c

In message <199712012355.PAA11311@kithrup.com>, Sean Eric Fagan writes:
>In article <19971201155116.18825.kithrup.freebsd.current@right.PCS> you writ
>e:
>>> This is an example of why said change was a mistake...
>>I never did get around to asking, so I guess this might be a good time as
>>any; why were the retvals moved into the proc structure in the first place?
>>I assume for performance reasons, but I don't recall seeing any discussion
>>about it on the lists.
>
>When I saw the commit message by PHK, I replied, to him and to
>cvs-all@freebsd.org (which is apparently not archived, so I can't get the
>exact date).
>
>I questioned the change, and said I "strongly objected" to it.

...with no further comments.  If you had bothered to say why, I could have
engaged in a discussion with you about it...

>I disapprove of them for a variety of reasons -- they're overly intrusive,
>introduce too much incompatibility for no real gain, needlessly change the
>proc structure, don't allow for future system calls that might need to
>return more than two words, and make some of the stuff done in the
>computability libraries harder.

I don't know what you're trying to be compatible with here...

I think that the entire "retval" thing should go away entirely and be
handled in the libc syscall stubs, this was the first step towards
that goal.

And yes, the reason is performance.

>Yes, I'm just a bit bitter about my complaint having gone unheeded and
>ignored, and having great delight in saying, "Hey, I told you so!" :)

No you didn't, all you said was "I strongly object to this change".