Date:      Tue, 16 Apr 2013 23:50:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Beeblebrox <zaphod@berentweb.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD as Samba Server and Windows as Client

There are just so many things that could go wrong on a samba setup that it is
beyond funny in my opinion. You have authentication method (kerberos, pam,
txt), ports, winbind and dns just to list a few.

I suggest you start samba in debug mode and enable full logging. The
documentation from samba its self is probably going to be much more
comprehensive: http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/manpages-3/smbd.8.html

I would also try to connect with various clients like a linux, XP, vista or
win7. These connection attempts should generate comprehensive logs when
samba is running in debug mode. You can then start to get some idea why the
connection is being refused by reading through the generated logs.

Also, several how-to's already exist on the FreeBSD forums - as an example:

-----
10-Current-amd64-using ccache-portstree merged with marcuscom.gnome3 & xorg.devel