Date:      Sun, 8 Sep 1996 12:06:51 -0400
From:      "Jeffrey M. Metcalf" <metcalf@imagine.com>
To:        "FreeBSD questions" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Problems with bootstrap

Hello,

I recently installed my FreeBSD 2.1.5 system on a new hard drive.  From the
old hard
drive, the default boot device was wd(0).  Now the default boot device is
fd(43), etc.
What's worse is that a boot floppy for my machine constantly causes a
spontaneous
reboot and hence cannot be used.  I am forced to type

wd(0,a)/kernel

each time I want to boot.  Is there a way to alter the default boot device?
 I have
installed OS-BS 20b8 as my boot manager.

Also, is the problem I've been having with the boot floppy typical?  Is
there a way
to create a new floppy image for my machine that won't cause the
spontaneous
reboot?  I've tried both boot.flp floppies for 2.1.5 available at FreeBSD,
Inc.
I have also found that the boot floppy from my 2.1.0 system does not
recognize
my IDE CDROM drive, but my recompiled kernel does.  Can I do everything
above
for a 2.1.5 boot floppy with installation tools that has an image of my
recompiled
kernel?  I want this for situations when I have to reinstall my system.  It
seems that
I should be able to do this.  After all, someone at FreeBSD did.

I would appreciate any suggestions.  Thanks for all your help.

Jeffrey M. Metcalf
200 Ridgefield Drive
Middletown, CT 06457
metcalf@imagine.com