Date:      Mon, 01 Jun 2015 19:11:37 -0600
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
To:        Tom Pusateri <pusateri@bangj.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cubox-i / Hummingboard i.MX6 building image

On Sat, 2015-05-30 at 14:26 -0400, Tom Pusateri wrote:
> I see there is a u-boot port for cubox-i / hummingboard now. That is great. Thanks for that!
>
> I built the u-boot and now am trying to figure out how to get the rest of the image created for a running system.
>
> Are there any instructions? I looked at https://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/arm/imx6 but there¢s not enough there to get me to the next step.
>
> Also, I have an mSATA card for my Hummingboard. Is there support for that yet? It makes a huge difference in performance (on debian).
>
> Thanks again!
>
> Tom

You can definitely run freebsd on your hummingboard; I run it on Cubox.
Beginning next week, there will be snapshot images ready to download and
burn to sdcard.

To build your own image, I was going to say to just use the crochet tool
mentioned on the imx6 wiki page, and use the Wandboard config but
substitute the name of the proper u-boot package.  But it looks like
crochet has never been updated to use the u-boot ports/packages.  At
least, when I look at what's on github I see old stuff in the wandboard
setup.sh related to downloading and building u-boot source locally.  (I
also see 4 different wandboard folders, which is confusing because a
single image works on all boards.)

For instructions, there is some developer-oriented stuff at
https://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/arm/crossbuild but it's not very
user-friendly.  It's more oriented towards develop-and-test cycles than
image creation.

-- Ian