Date:      Mon, 10 Jan 2000 11:08:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Richard J. Kuhns" <rjk@grauel.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hint for anyone going from 2.2.x to 3.x/4.x

I recently upgraded a couple of machines from 2.2.8 to 3.3/3.4.  As time
permitted I also rebuilt a number of ports, since the default object format
is now ELF, and I found a couple of ports that compiled just fine on 1
system, but failed on another (Imlib was one).  All dependencies were found
with no trouble; it just didn't work.

After some searching, I found the problem: libtool.  Even though I had the
most recent installed (1.3.3) and it doesn't include any binaries that
would be affected by the a.out --> elf change, you've got to
remove/reinstall it.  It hard-codes the os version it was installed under,
and then passes that to other ports that use it.  For imlib, this caused an
attempt to link in /usr/lib/c++rt0.o, which is not present under 3.x.

To summarize: if you installed libtool while running 2.2.x, and you upgrade
to 3.x/4.x, remove libtool and reinstall it.

--
Richard Kuhns			rjk@grauel.com
PO Box 6249			Tel: (765)477-6000 \