Date:      Fri, 25 Feb 2000 16:21:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Dirk Kleinhesselink <dkleinh@phy.ucsf.EDU>, mjacob@feral.com, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problems with Qlogic SCSI combo card

Mike Smith writes:

 > > Dirk Kleinhesselink writes:
 > >  >
 > >  > I booted off the FreeBSD 4.0 CD-ROM -- it is true that my system disk has
 > >  > NetBSD/alpha 1.4.1 on it and that my 2nd IDE disk has Linux on it, but I
 > >  > had booted off the SCSI CD-ROM I put on the 2nd channel of the card.
 > >  >

 > > OK. Then it looks like the install kernel is broken & will latch onto
 > > any random BSD partition it finds.  I'm not familiar with the install
 > > process, so I'll bow out now..
 >
 > This certainly isn't the normal case; I used the 4.0 RC2 CDROM to
 > reinstall our DS20 the other day.

Hmm.. I'm grasping at straws here..:

Does the alpha install from a single kernel with the root device
complied in, or does it load the contents of md0 from the boot loader,
or does it mount the cdrom for its root..?

I'm wondering if my instructions for him to break into the boot loader
to set isp_mem_map=0xff might have prevented the script from loading
the contents of md0, thus causing the vfs_conf code to go looking
around for a filesystem & finding his netbsd fs?

Drew