Date:      Mon, 25 Sep 2000 08:50:58 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "David J. Kanter" <david.kanter@mindspring.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Max partitions per slice

David J. Kanter writes:
> On Sun, Sep 24, 2000 at 08:01:35PM -0500, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > Not realizing that you've got all 8 partions. They're a-h. If you need
> > to add another file system, you're going to have to point the c
> > partition at it.
> I was under the impression that the "c" should be left alone. So you're
> saying it's OK to point c to another slice? What are the ramification of
> losing the "c"?

People who expect that it will point at the entire disk will be
surprised. The only use I've ever seen made of the c partition being
the entire disk is to make image backups from one drive to another.
If I remember right, those were rm03s, at about 80meg each. The pack
was removable, so we kept three circulating through each drive
(todays, yesterdays, and tomorrows ;-). Of course, I've never seen
anyone who needed more than 7 active partitions, so I've not seen it
done.

On the other hand, I would have said the same thing about the "a"
partition being root until last week. I put root on a c partition
(didn't want to resize a to be the whole slice) and grub refused to
boot the disk.  So if you do it and something breaks, let us know!

Oh yeah - if you really need this and c doesn't work, and can free up
a slice, you can use partitions from other slices. The "c-partition
root" used the whole slice for data, and "borrowed" another FreeBSD
install's swap from a different partition.

	<mike