Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2000 14:26:57 +0900
From:      itojun@iijlab.net
To:        "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@peorth.iteration.net>
Cc:        freebsd-i18n@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NetBSD libintl, import of CITRUS *

>How about just libc and includes?  (i.e. wchar.h and related stuff)

	that is a bit early to integrate libc locale (LC_CTYPE) part.
	i won't stop you, but it will be a major amount of work, regarding to
	backward compatibility issues - i'm not 100% sure about freebsd binary
	backward compatibility requirement between releases, but it won't be
	pretty if you break existing binaries.  you just need to be careful.

	also, we need a better integration with other locale handlers
	(LC_COLLATE, LC_TIME and others), and CITRUS-friendly iconv(3).

>Regarding BSDL gettext, is it "finalized?"

	not really.  libintl (gettext) works just like GNU gettext, so it works
	as GNU gettext replacement.  however, our goal is much more complete
	system - we don't want to hardcode our library to certain locale.
	current gettext library (both GNU and CITRUS) assumes that you are
	using single encoding for setlocale(3) and the message catalog file.
	for example, if your $LANG equals to ko_KR.eucKR, message catalog file
	must be encoded in euc-kr.  we would like to make them more independent
	(like allowing ksc5601 catalog file).

	look for /*XXX*/ comments in libintl source code.

itojun

with "unsubscribe freebsd-i18n" in the body of the message