Date:      Wed, 6 Dec 2000 07:36:01 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, <tolyar@mx.ru>
Subject:   Re: USB cd-writer

Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net> types:
> * Zherdev Anatoly <tolyar@mx.ru> [001206 01:44] wrote:
> > On Wed, 6 Dec 2000 01:22:45 -0800
> > AP> Hmm, I'm not sure about that, do you have scsi support in your
> > AP> kernel?
> > SCSI enable. I have in my kernel
> > device          ahc             # AHA2940 and onboard AIC7xxx devices
> > device          scbus           # SCSI bus (required)
> > device          da              # Direct Access (disks)
> > device          cd              # CD
> > device          pass            # Passthrough device (direct SCSI access)

All you should need are scbus and cd (unless cd needs da). ahc and
pass aren't required, though pass is handy for lots of things. What
does your dmesg report as attached to scbus?

> > But why i need SCSI support in kernel for USB device?
> hmm, ok, perhaps it's not supported at the moment, the reason for
> scsi devices is that a lot of USB mass storage seem to emulate
> a scsi bus over USB.  (or at least that's how they told me to get
> my compact flash device working).

In more detail, SCSI is both a set of commands and a physical spec. In
recent versions of the standard, this separation has been made
explicit. Some of the USB devices that look like disks use the SCSI
command set over a USB physical layer (I believe there's a standard
for such in the works as well). You need the scbus stuff to talk to
those. Of course, *some* of the USB devices use the ATA command set. I
have no idea what it takes to get one of those working.

	<mike
Independent WWW/Unix/FreeBSD consultant,	email for more information.