Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 06:32:28 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   OT: non-Unix history (Was: FreeBSD vs linux)

Albert D. Cahalan <acahalan@cs.uml.edu> types:
> David Kelly writes:
> > [--snip--]

> > What I mean by "Microsoft tint" is prefaced by "Microsoft-colored
> > glasses". Users who know only of Windows bitch when an OS doesn't do
> > everything the way they are used to. When configuring a foreign system,
> > or writing code for it, they design the user interface after the
> > Microsoft model. And use Microsoft terminology to document. And then
> > complain about how much they hate Microsoft.
> The GNOME+Gtk desktop looks like OS/2 and Motif. NeXT-like themes
> are very common. The usual title bar buttons are actually useful,
> and hey, Motif was quite a Windows 3.1 rip-off anyway.

I think you've got that backwards - or maybe sideways. Remember, MS &
IBM produced OS/2 in a partnership; it was supposed to be the next OS
after DOS. MS screwed IBM by not actually supporting OS/2 the way they
had agreed upon, and doing Windows internally. Motif, on the other
hand, was produced by a consortium that included IBM, and was
specifically designed to look like OS/2 - which IBM owned, so it
wasn't a ripoff. I don't remember if the GUI design went from OS/2 ->
Windows or the other way, but it's sort of moot; MS had rights to both
in either case.

Of course, MS stole the Windows UI from Apple (only they did a
miserable job of implementing it), who stole it (if you ask Xerox) or
licensed it (if you ask Apple) from Xerox.

> It is stupid to invent a gratuitously incompatible user interface.

Which was why Motif looked like OS/2. That your users could move
between PC's running OS/2 and Unix boxes running Motif with no
training.

On the other hand, there's no such thing as "gratuitously incompatible
user interfaces". All those changes are *improvements* - just ask the
authors!

If you want to argue that one of the reasons that Unix failed on the
desktop was that X allowed the users to run arbitrarily strange window
managers, and most of those window managers allowed configuration to
an extent that would require major rewrites of MacOS or Windows, I
won't argue. I would claim that the kernel APIs being different were
more of a reason, but that's just me.

	<mike