Date:      Fri, 2 Mar 2001 19:25:24 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        richard childers <fscked@pacbell.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pimping FreeBSD Information (was: 'Order')

richard childers <fscked@pacbell.net> types:
> I would have to review what you have contributed before I could comment on whether what
> you are doing is *exactly* like what Tim is doing.

Actually, I wasn't clear. I'm doing the same things that Tim is
doing. I have no idea why he's doing them. You seem to believe that
he's doing them for the same reasons that I am, and find his behavior
objectionable.

> I haven't seen Tim refer anyone to anything he's written that is in the public domain;
> reviewing the archives, I see several times that he has referenced people to his book,
> explicitly, rather than answer the question.

So? You haven't seen me refer to anything I've written that's in the
public domain, either. I haven't done it.

> Tim says he's only been on freebsd-questions since January. So he seems to have offered
> his book for sale to several people, in less than two months, rather than answering
> their questions.

I haven't *ever* seen Tim offer his book for sale. I haven't seen him
recommend that anyone purchase his book, either. I've seen him
recommend that people read it, which isn't the same thing.

> I wouldn't care if he offered the book *after* answering the questions; but that's what
> the .signature does, doesn't it? And I have no objections to such. That's been made
> clear to all.

Why should he retype something he's already written, or even bother
cutting and pasting it? I wouldn't do that - in fact, I don't. I
provide a reference so they can find what I wrote. So does he.  If we
believe we're providing a reference to the best source for the
information they need, that's an answer. It's even a good answer, and
in line with the regular postings about how to get the best results
from -questions.

> When you start pushing your book in lieu of good answers, you can probably assume that
> I will publically object to it. Until then, I think you are missing my point ...
> perhaps deliberately.

I already push what I wrote instead of providing good answers. I do
that because I've already answered the question to the best of my
ability, and it's easier to provide a reference than to provide the
answer again. I also do it in hopes that it will cause someone to
throw a few dollars my way. Ted also refers people to something he's
written, and presumably believes is the best possible answer. If he
does so in hopes that he may make a few bucks, so what?

> As for public support, I'm not looking for it. I never asked for it. I'm capable of
> standing up for what's right without a pack behind me to prop me up, thanks.

You've demonstrated that you can stand up for what you believe in,
anyway.

> If you need your friends amongst the subscribers to freebsd-questions to prop you up,
> you are free to Cc: them; but don't claim that I am forcing you to such a stooped
> posture.  (-;

Nah, I'm not claiming you forced me to do this. I'm simply standing up
for what's right. In this case, that happens to be not talking about
someone behind their back. Since you're objecting to Ted's behavior on
-questions, -questions is the obvious forum. Out of courtesy, I didn't
cc my reply to your original message there, but warned you that I
would do so in the future.

	<mike