Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2001 11:33:11 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        bsddiy@21cn.com, nate@yogotech.com, asmodai@wxs.nl, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: The Project and onward [was: Re: cvs commit: src/sys/netinet ip_output.c]

> > JH> Our strategy has never been anything more "brilliant" than fixing
> > JH> bugs, updating tools, writing drivers for new hardware
> >
> > sigh, is this FreeBSD strategy? if there isn't innovate in FreeBSD in
> > furture, I'd leave away now. :(
>
> I think you're confused - please read what I said again.  I'm
> describing a state of affairs, I'm not saying FreeBSD will never be
> innovative.  I rather hope it will be, in fact.
>
> Nate and I fundamentally disagree as to where one defines *any*,
> operating system vendor as "innovative" today.  I don't happen to
> think that any one of the mainstream players are truly innovative, not
> Linux, not Microsoft, not Sun, not even BSD, and I don't care how many
> times you rewrite the VM system or create new filesystems for any of
> the above.

That's a fair statement.  I consider the above innovation, and Jordan
does not.  Given my experience with companies lately, there is a *heck*
of alot more innovation or whatever you want to call it happening in
FreeBSD than in the other mainstream OS's.

Companies are patenting ideas that are *much* less innovative and
obvious than the changes that have happened and/or will be happening in
FreeBSD.

> To do any of that is to simply *extend* things within your classic
> design model, you're not doing the software equivalent of jumping from
> incandescent to fluorescent lighting or going from piston to
> jet-powered aircraft.

Using your arguments, there have been real innovations since Orville and
Wilbur did their thing.  Moving from a single-threaded to a
multi-threaded kernel *is* real innovation, as it radically effects the
entire model, sort of like piston -> jet power.  Yes, there are still
wings on the plane, but underneath everything is re-tooled for a
different power plant.

But, I guess we can disagree on what we consider innovation.

Nate