Date:      Thu, 3 May 2001 00:29:04 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        budsz <budsan02@bdg.centrin.net.id>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bout partitions

budsz <budsan02@bdg.centrin.net.id> types:
> Hi..
> i have  3 partition on my harddisk
> a -> windows (fat32)
> b -> windows (fat32)       |
>                            |----> extended partition
> c -> i will use by freebsd |
>
> for ex: if i remove extended partition of couse "b" & "c" will be lose
> but i want remove only "c" partition
> how can i do, does freebsd support to remove logical partition?
> thank you

If I have correctly interpreted your diagram, you have two of the four
physical slices - since Unix calls it's disk segments "partitions",
the term "slices" is used to denote the MBR disk segments to avoid
confusion - allocated. One is a fat32 slice, and the other is
extended. The first part of the extended slice contains a fat32
logical slice you want to preserve. You want to shrink the extended
slice down to make room for another physical slice on which you're
going to install FreeBSD.

The fdisk command running under FreeBSD can change the length of the
extended slice, but I have no idea if it will be safe to do so. There
are some Windows tools for manipulating disk slices on the FreeBSD
CDROMs, and I've used them on fat32 slices with no problem. I have no
idea if they'll work on an extended slice or not.

I'm pretty sure some of the commercial slice management tools -
"Partition Commander", for instance - can do this for you, but you
really need advice from a Windows guru.

	<mike