Date:      Sat, 28 Jul 2001 01:10:10 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Weevil <theweevil@baxpace.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: libc.so.5 missing in FreeBSD 4.3 -- why?

Weevil <theweevil@baxpace.com> types:
> I notice a lot of apps complaining these days about not finding libc.so.5,
> notably the *freebsd port* of KDE!

Where are you getting the applications? Nothing you build on your
system should depend on libc.so.5 if you don't have it installed.

> First of all how is libc.so.5 different from libc.so.4? I have created a link
> from libc.so.4 to libc.so.5, so apps that need libc.so.5 are actually finding
> libc.so.4. Is this advisable?

Generally not. Bumping the major version number of a library usually
means significant changes such that things aren't backwards
compatible. If the application in question doesn't depend on any of
the changes, it will work. But there's no way to know that for sure,
and it may appear to work until you exercise some little-used feature,
at which point debugging it is going to be a major PITA.

> Where can I get libc.so.5? All I can find are Linux RPMs which are kind of
> useless to me....

There are two things that might be causing this. One is linux
applications that need the linux libc.so.5. If they found a
/usr/lib/libc.so.5 created as you described, that's not it. The other
is applications built on -current, which has changed libc enough that
the major version number has been changed. You shouldn't be using
those on a 4.X system, but should be using the -stable versions of the
applications.

Hence - where are you getting the applications?

	<mike