Date:      Thu, 30 Aug 2001 20:15:15 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@mahoroba.org>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Freezes in 4.4RC on SMP Kernel and gkrellm

Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@mahoroba.org> types:
> mwm> Well, if I leave gkrellm off, the system doesn't freeze. I'm not sure
> mwm> what the exact cause is, but it seems to be related to
> mwm> plugins.
> What plugins are you using?  Did you try disabling plugin from Plugin
> tab?

Volume plugin, gkrellscore and gkrellweather. I have Moon Clock
installed, but have never left it running. If I don't leave any of
them running, it doesn't normally freeze. Even if I leave the sensor
module enabled and running.

> > mwm> I've installed gkrellm WITHOUT_SENSOR=yes - which sgid instead of suid
> > mwm> - and enabled all the things that I had on when the system was
> > mwm> freezing before, except the sensors.
> > I'll turn sensor support off by default for workaround.
> mwm> I'm not sure that solves the problem. I still got freezes when
> mwm> installing it WITHOUT_SENSOR=yes.
> Really?  I think GKrellM cannot access /dev/smb* nor /dev/io in this
> case.

Correct. BTW, I did change the sensors code to open these these files
read-only. I know the /dev/io code works that way - I'm using it now -
and healthd opens /dev/smb* read-only, so I presume that works. I also
caught gkrellscore doing a fetch at startup - even though I had it
disabled - including a running perl with read/write access to
/dev/io. So I turned on close-on-exec on the things as well. Those
things don't solve the problem, but seems like a good idea in general.

	<mike