Date:      Sat, 22 Jun 2002 03:07:45 -0700
From:      Michael Loftis <mloftis@wgops.com>
To:        Benjamin Krueger <benjamin@seattleFenix.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What's it going to take???

--On Saturday, June 22, 2002 2:37 AM -0700 Benjamin Krueger
<benjamin@seattleFenix.net> wrote:

>   Have you taken steps to contact the fellows and inform them that they
> are infected with email virii before attempting to have their entire ISPs
> blackholed? Recieving a few annoying email virii does not typically
> constitute "SPAM" and most certainly does not warrant a MAPS entry. Even
> if the virii are intentional, the correct response would be to let his
> ISP's abuse@ and local authorities handle the problem.

I always cotnact abuse@ first.  xs4all has a first rate abuse deptmnt, and
they always make sure to look at things.  Also MAPS does not normally
blackhole entire blocks.  It takes total ignoring of all attempts at
contacting (Repeatedly) or getting them to fix it beore that happens.  An
RBL entry won't even happen until after someone @MAPS has contacted the ISP
and end user (where appropriate).

>   I find it highly disturbing that folks have come to regard SPAM
> blackholing as an appropriate reaction to all sorts of behavior which are
> not SPAM  related.

Note MAPS name is Maile ABUSE Prevention Services.  The blackhole is
primarily for spammers but networks full of virus infected systems or
cracked systems (open relays of sorts) can make their way onto the lists
too if they.  Also note that most DSL blocks fall under the terms of DUL
because they are dynamically allocated, some don't though, and I'm not
certain of the specifics there @ xs4all for that block (I'm assuming static
for now though).

In any event they have taken care of it, and another oen, I'm forwarding
the two ticket items to the list in case anyone is interested.

Loftis