Date:      Mon, 24 Dec 2001 13:27:25 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1009654045.562780@mired.org>
To:        Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: compact flash cards

Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au> types:
> Hi,
>
> I know someone posted some information on accessing Compact Flash
> cards in the last few weeks, but I've been trying for a few days
> to search the mailing list archives and it keeps telling me the
> archive is unavailable.
>
> So I apologise if this is a rehash, but I have some photos to sort
> out before Christmas...
>
> A friend has a compact flash-based camera and a USB flash reader
> (a SanDisk ImageMate SDDR-05a).  I can connect the reader to my
> USB port, I can see that it's detected by the USB daemon, but
> I'm not sure where to go from there...

To your favorite computer dealer, to buy a compact flash disk reader
that works with FreeBSD?

> I seem to recall seeing it had something to do with the umass
> driver, and I can see that the umass module is loaded, but I
> can't locate a device to mount or some other way to access the
> files...

I've had some problems getting usb to recognize devices that weren't
compiled into the kernel, so you might try a new kernel with umass and
all the things it needs and rebooting.

If it doesn't recognize the thing as a umass device on boot, then the
reader isn't supported. It may require nothing more than putting the
device id into the umass driver somewhere.

> I'm running FreeBSD 4.2R.

Or updating your FreeBSD.

You really should check the archives via google or marc to see if
anyone has made that device work, and what they had to do to do it.

Once it's recognized as a umass device, you'll get something like:

	umass0: Hagiwara Sys-Com SmartMedia R/W, rev 1.10/2.00, addr 2

and

	da3 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0

so you make the da3 device - or whatever disk device it showed up for
you as - in /dev, then insert the card and mount da3 as a DOS file
system:

	mount -t dos /dev/da3s1 /mnt

	<mike