Date:      Wed, 13 Mar 2002 15:29:59 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1016486999.a92f5c@mired.org>
To:        Thierry Herbelot <thierry@herbelot.com>
Cc:        dan@langille.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cdrecord under 4.5-stable

Thierry Herbelot <thierry@herbelot.com> types:
> Mike Meyer wrote:
> > That to me means it's time to try rebuilding cdrecord, as it has it's
> > fingers fairly thoroughly into the system. Or maybe it's time to clean
> > the cd writer
> In a word : DON'T DO THAT : I recently destroyed a burner after cleaning
> it with a special-purpose "drive-cleaning" CD (plastic disc with some
> packs of hair near the center).

I've cleaned mine with a "cd lens cleaning" kit a number of
times. It's made by Lexium, with two sets of hairs about midway
through the disk. That's usually the *first* thing I do if I've been
inside the box since the last time I burned a CD. More than once,
that's solved the problem for me. I've got a 3.5 year old Yamaha
that's still burning backup disks every week.

> 	Hoping your burner is not toasted

Mine isn't. I hope Dan's isn't either.

	<mike