Date:      Mon, 3 Mar 2003 18:36:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        jhb@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   witness_get: witness exhausted?

I'm developing a character driver which tracks a lot of state on a
per-open basis.  I've got several mutexes in there which are
initialzed at open, and destroyed at close.  After a few
dozen opens, witness seems to croak with:

    witness_get: witness exhausted

Am I leaking something?  Or is the witness code?  I looked at
subr_witness.c, and I don't see witness_free() being called from
witness_destroy().  There's probably some design constraint that
I don't understand.

If the fault is with the witness code, can it be fixed?

FWIW, Witness (and the FreeBSD debugging environment in general) is
why I've gotten approval to co-develop this driver on FreeBSD (in
addition to linux).  Its already caught several locking bugs.

Thanks,

Drew