Date:      Mon, 13 Jul 1998 21:06:32 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Jim Lowe <james@miller.cs.uwm.edu>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Spigot still supported?

> For vic to work with the spigot as a regular user, you need the
> following kernel configuration:
>
> device spigot0 at isa? port 0xad6 iomem 0xd0000 vector spigintr
> options         SPIGOT_UNSECURE	# non-root access to spigot, security p
rob.

Yeargh, I forgot about SPIGOT_UNSECURE, thanks.  However, even when
running as root and the following being true:

(#) dmesg|grep spigot
spigot0 at 0xad6 irq 15 maddr 0xee000 on isa
(#) ls -l /dev/spigot
cr--r--r--  1 root  wheel   11,   0 Jul 12 19:42 /dev/spigot

I still don't see the spigot listed as a grabber type.  I'll try again
with SPIGOT_UNSECURE and see if that makes any difference.

> The meteor should work with the 440fx chipset if you don't use the
> multiple dma transfer mode (i.e. use the YUV_PACKED mode).  The
> ports collection contains vic with the patched grabber_meteor.cc for
> YUV_PACKED mode.  Do you still have lock up problems with the meteor
> and the version of vic in ports?

To be honest, I hadn't actually tried it with vic - since I don't have
multicast working over here.  Neither I nor CRL seem to be able to get
the routers talking multicast to one another, despite my having done
everything to our router on this end that various people told me to
do; it perhaps being still on the CRL end since they're not all that
familiar with multicast over there and may not even be getting it onto
their internal network correctly, thus explaining why I didn't have
very good results from my end.  In any case, is it possible to disable
this in the meteor driver itself so that things like "tv" don't use
it?  My main use for the meteor was actually taking snapshots of
things using tv - I never actually used it for conferencing. :)

- Jordan