Date:      Fri, 17 Sep 2004 16:25:18 -0600
From:      Ben Mesander <ben@timing.com>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: diff(1)

Devon H. O'Dell writes:
 > Does OpenBSD's diffutils include sdiff? If not, this will be broken.
 >
 > --Devon

It does not appear to have sdiff.

I'm a long time UNIX user and have never used sdiff, but I suppose
it's more than likely that everyone else on this mailing list uses
it every day (some law about the perversity of the universe tending
towards a maximum).

A quick glance at the GNU sources of sdiff makes it seem to me that it
may be possible to replace diff and diff3 with the OpenBSD versions
and retain GNU sdiff until a replacement is written.

So I can see at least 3 alternatives:

1. Replace diff, diff3 with OpenBSD versions, and lose sdiff.
2. Replace diff, diff3 with OpenBSD versions, use existing sdiff for now.
3. Leave things as they are.

Opinions?

Thanks,
Ben Mesander