Date:      Sat, 10 Nov 2007 15:09:45 -0500
From:      Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>
To:        "Bob Johnson" <fbsdlists@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   7.0-B2 & IPFW/IP6FW interaction

Bob Johnson writes:

>  On my test system, the IPv6 ruleset is loaded first, and then
>  when the IPv4 ruleset is loaded, the flush command in rc.firewall
>  removes all of the IPv6 rules, so I end up with default deny for
>  IPv6, plus all of my normal IPv4 rules. It's possible that this
>  interaction explains the other oddities I thought I've seen but
>  haven't reliably reproduced.
>
>  I fixed it by removing the flush commands from both rc.firewall
>  and rc.firewall6, but I expect this broke the proper operation of
>  "/etc/rc.d/ipfw restart" (although I haven't actually tested
>  that. I just manually flush the rules if I need to restart the
>  firewall).

	There are a number of good reasons to Not Do That, which others
can explain better than I.
	Instead let me suggest you make a copy of those scripts, then
ponder this part of my rc.conf:

firewall_enable="YES"           # Set to YES to enable firewall functionality
firewall_type="UNKNOWN"       # Firewall type (see /etc/rc.firewall)
firewall_script="/etc/ipfw.master" # Use this instead of /etc/rc.firewall
ipv6_firewall_enable="YES"      # Set to YES to enable IPv6 firewall
ipv6_firewall_type="UNKNOWN"    # see /etc/rc.firewall6
ipv6_firewall_script="/etc/ipfw.v6.set" # Which script to run to
								# set up the IPv6 firewall
ipv6_firewall_flags=""  # see /etc/rc.firewall6

				Robert Huff