Date:      Fri, 9 Sep 1994 10:35:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        nate@bsd.coe.montana.edu (Nate Williams)
Cc:        rgrimes@freefall.cdrom.com, ache@freefall.cdrom.com, adam@freefall.cdrom.com, alm@freefall.cdrom.com, ats@freefall.cdrom.com, bde@freefall.cdrom.com, csgr@freefall.cdrom.com, cvs-etc@freefall.cdrom.com, davidg@freefall.cdrom.com, dfr@freefall.cdrom.com, dyson@freefall.cdrom.com, gclarkii@freefall.cdrom.com, gpalmer@freefall.cdrom.com, guido@freefall.cdrom.com, hsu@freefall.cdrom.com, jkh@freefall.cdrom.com, joerg@freefall.cdrom.com, julian@freefall.cdrom.com, jvh@freefall.cdrom.com, karl@freefall.cdrom.com, martin@freefall.cdrom.com, paul@freefall.cdrom.com, phk@freefall.cdrom.com, proven@freefall.cdrom.com, pst@freefall.cdrom.com, rich@freefall.cdrom.com, se@freefall.cdrom.com, sean@freefall.cdrom.com, sef@freefall.cdrom.com, smace@freefall.cdrom.com, sos@freefall.cdrom.com, torstenb@freefall.cdrom.com, wollman@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/etc/mtree BSD.var.dist

> > rgrimes     94/09/09 06:43:23
> >
> >   Modified:    etc/mtree BSD.var.dist
> >   Log:
> >   Fix missing .. before phantasia.  Caused by incorectly adding a directory,
> >   you MUST add the directory name and the .. entry to close the directory.
> >
> >   If you do not understand mtree files, do not modify them, it is very
> >   easy to trash someones box with a mistake in here.  Especially with
> >   regards to .. entries.
>
> I hate to be obnoxious, but can we take the 'personal attacks' out of
						^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> the comments.  It's been mentioned before, but if you want to attack,
> then do it in email and not in the tree.  These comments stay in the CVS
> tree until FreeBSD goes the way of the DODO, and this kind of thing
> makes us look rather un-professional.

THis was not a personal attack, which I do generally try to keep out of
the cvs commits.  The whole commit message was to be explicit about the
problem so others do not duplicate it.

It went on to be explicitive about changeing these files if you do not
have a full and complete understanding of them.  They are simple, but they
are nontrivial.  A missplaced .. or a /set done wrong can end up really
trashing someone.  Luckly this missing .. was at the bottom of a 3rd nest
so it just ended up trashing /var/games/hackdir, had it been a top level
one in BSD.usr.dist I would have probably gone totally ballistic in
private email instead of simi ballistic in the commit message.

But, now back to bitch mode, I am getting sick and tired of cleaning up
behind bad commits just so I can keep my work going.  This MUST STOP!